Digital Trends may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site.
We could say that it is the original use for Amazon Echo device: hands-free music playback. Amazon Echo has come a long way from its beginnings as a simple smart home speaker: Music and audio quality have improved dramatically with each iteration, and the company has added video displays to these devices, now dubbed the Echo. Show, which makes them domestic hubs. which can play music and stream videos, act as home security cameras, and even facilitate video chats. But music is still a main feature.
What music streaming services are available on the Amazon Echo Show?
Amazon has wisely agreed to play well with a surprising variety of music services. Naturally, they would prefer you to use the default Amazon Music service, which with a Prime membership gives you access to millions of songs (and an upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited basically means all the songs you want are at. handy). Amazon Music is a good service, but depending on what you’re used to or what other music services you’ve subscribed to before you got an Echo device, you might want to tune into another option.
It is possible to connect to services such as Deezer, iHeartRadio, Vevo, Spotify, TuneIn, Pandora, Tidal and even SiriusXM satellite radio. Another boon for iPhone users: you can connect to Apple Music and Apple Podcasts for a seamless listening experience.
If you have an Echo Show device with a display (like the new Amazon Echo Show 15), you not only get music enjoyment, but you’ll also see details and information on the screen, and with some services you can even display live lyrics, too. It’s practically kitchen karaoke!
How to Edit Streaming Music Services on Amazon Echo
By default, your Echo device will choose music from Amazon Music. Changing this default is actually pretty straightforward.
- Open the Alexa app.
- Click on the Following menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on Settings.
- Scroll until you see Music and podcasts.
- You should see Amazon Music. To add other services, click Link a new service.
- A list of options available in your region will appear. Click on the one you want to add and follow the instructions to sign in to that music service’s account, which will then link Alexa to that service.
- To have the Echo Show play music, say: “Alexa plays Foo Fighters on Apple Music.
Alexa can also respond to music requests by genre, album, artist, and even era. It’s worth pointing out that most of these music services are paid, which means you’ll need a paid subscription to access and play music on your Amazon Echo devices.
How to change the default music service on Echo Show
If you’d rather not have to specify a streaming service every time you request something, it’s possible to change the default music streaming service in the Alexa app. Again, this is easily done with just a few clicks.
- Open the Music and podcasts in the Alexa app.
- Faucet Default services at the top of the screen.
- In this menu, you can adjust your favorite music playback service, where artist or genre requests come from, and also where Alexa will find podcasts.
Adjusting your Amazon Echo or Echo Show’s music settings is easy and lets you listen to the services you prefer. By the way, you can also access a plethora of video streaming options on an Echo Show device. Sling TV is just the latest service online, and you can read more about the video services available on Echo Show here.