Music Test's and Games
Quotes About Music
Write To Bands
Pictures of TV Appearances
Movie Appearances By Musicians
Band Facts 1
Band Facts 2
Band Facts 3
Wrestling Music Facts
Born, Based, Raised In
Lots Of Links 1
Lots Of Links 2
Music Zine Links
Official Band Sites
Fansites That I Made
True Music Stories
Funny Band Names
Be A Rockstar!
Lots Of Fun Music Polls
Music Gifs & Images
Submit Concert Reviews
Add Your Link!
Contact Form/ Suggestions
Click For ALL My Pages!
Name: Paula Abdul |
Birth Name: Paula Julie Abdul
Date: June 19, 1962
Birth Place: San Fernando, California, USA
Occupation: actress, musician
Husband/Wife: Brad Beckerman (married on October 24, 1996; divorced in 1998), Emilio Estevez (actor; born on May 12, 1962; married in April 1992; divorced on May 10, 1994)
- Abdul has jumped to the defense of axed AMERICAN IDOL contestant Frenchie Davis by allowing her the chance to speak to the nation on TV – The singer insisted Frenchie had been upfront about her sordid past, and she was happy to sit down with the larger-than-life wannabe to let her explain herself. (February 18, 2003)
- Education : Van Nuys high school, Cal State-Northridge, majoring in TV and radio.
- Father: Harry Abdul (once a livestock trader in Brazil)
- Mother: Lorainne Abdul (former assistant to film director Billy Wilder)
- Ethnicity: Syrian-Palestinian/French-Canadian.
- Choreographed videos for George Michael, Debbie Gibson, Dolly Parton, Janet Jackson, and ZZ Top.
- Former L.A. Lakers cheerleader.
- Grammy award winning singer.
- Appeared in and choreographed Janet Jackson's Nasty and What Have You Done For Me Lately music videos.
- Said a few lines on Chunky A's (Arsenio Hall) song Dope, The Big Lie.
- Height: 5' 2
- Is a vegetarian.
- Her first album, Forever Your Girl, took over 2 years to reach the top of Billboard's album charts in 1990 and spawned four #1 singles.
- Converted from Islam to Judaism after marrying second husband Brad Beckerman.
- Parents are Harry and Lorraine Abdul.
- Paula has an older sister, Wendy who is 7 years older.
- She was named after her grandmother
- Watching 'Singing In The Rain' as a child is what started Paula's love for dance
- At the age of 7, Paula was enrolled in dance classes
- One of her fondest memories was getting a standing ovation after a dance recital when she was nine
- When Paula was 7, her parents divorced and she and her sister Wendy lived with her mom.
- She went to high school at Van Nuys High
- She was head cheerleader in high school
- At age 15, Paula got her chance to act in a movie called Junior High School.
- She played the flute in the school band. Was a part of the debate team. She was in the science club, voted most likely to succeed and was May Queen. She was an honor student and graduated with a 3.85 grade point average.
- Her mother is French-Canadian, her father's heritage is Brazillian-Syrian.
- Her senior year she was offered a dance scholarship at Julliard, school for performing arts in New York City. Paula turned it down to stay closer to home in California.
- She enrolled at the California State University at Northridge to study sportscasting. Paula is an avid sports fan and grew up a Los Angeles Lakers fan. So she thought that combining her love for sports, and dancing could lead her the way into the entertainment industry.
- Paula dropped out of college to be a Laker Girl
- Choreographed with the Jackson's in 1984 for the video 'Torchure' and their Victory tour
- She was a member of the Laker Girls from 1982-1985
- Paula did some choreography for Janet Jackson
- Paula choreographed Janet's 4 hit videos from her Control album- 'Nasty', 'What have you done for me lately', 'Control', and 'When I think of you'.
- Paula won for her choreography at the MTV Video Awards in 1987 for Best Dance video for 'Nasty'.
- Paula worked on George Michael's 'Faith' tour.
She began doing choreography for such movies as 'Bull Durham', 'The Running Man', 'Can't Buy Me Love', and 'Coming To America'.
- In 1988 she choreographed one of the biggest teen stars at that time, Debbie Gibson.
- In 1987, Paula decided to join some friends in a group called "The Cheer Girls" and record a demo.
- In 1988, her debut album, Forever Your Girl was released.
- Paula released her first single, 'Knocked Out'. It did well on the R&B dance charts as it reached the top 40. It did not do well in the top 100 pop charts.
- 'The Way That You Love Me' was her second single.
- 'Straight Up' was her 3rd single and became Paula's first number one hit.
- After Straight Up came enormous success. She recieved 3 more #1 songs, won many awards, and was a part of a multi artist Club MTV Tour.
- She choreographed one of the hottest shows on television - The Tracy Ullman Show. She won an emmy for her work on the show as a choreographer.
- She became the first female artist to recieve four number one songs on her debut album.
- 'Forever Your Girl' was at the top of the charts longer than any other debut album in history.
- In 1990, Paula released a remix album titled 'Shut Up And Dance.' It became the top selling remix album in history.
- The album 'Spellbound' was released in the summer of 1991.
- 'Rush Rush' was an instant hit. It would become Paula's biggest hit as it spent five weeks on the billboard chart at number one.
- To name her world tour, Paula decided to have a Name Paula's Tour contest on MTV. Paula wanted to give a lucky fan the opportunity to name her tour. A winner was selected as Paula's tour was named The Under My Spell Tour.
- During the world tour, Paula recieved one of the ultimate honors. She was selected to recieve her name on the Hollyood Walk Of Fame.
- She met actor Emilio Estevez. They fell in love and were married on April 29th 1992.
- After two years of marriage, Paula and Emilio called it quits. Paula and Emilio divorced in 1994.
- In a performance at the MTV Video Awards in 1992, Paula's weight was brought to the attention of the media and press as being chunky.
- Since she was a teenager, she suffered occasionally from bulimia. Due to the issues regarding her weight, and the recent divorce and Virgin Records lawsuit (which Virgin eventually won), Paula's bulimia took center stage in her life. The illness got so serious that she checked into the Laureate Clinic in Tulsa Oklahoma for treatment.
- She became a spokeswoman for eating disorders.
- Third album was 'Head Over Heels' which was released in 1995.
- 'Head Over Heels' reached gold status.
- In 1996, after months of dating, Paula and Brad Beckerman got married. It was a beautiful traditional jewish wedding.
- After her marriage to Brad, Paula took her acting career further as she starred in an ABC television movie called 'Touched By Evil'.
- After a year and a half of marriage, Paula and Brad divorced.
- Paula was dropped from Virgin Records and had to search for a new record label. She eventually signed with Mercury Records.
- She acted in some more sitcoms: Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Spin City and The Wayans Bros.
- She did a cheerleading skit on Saturday Night Live.
- Acted in television movies Mr. Rock N Roll : The Alan Freed Story and The Waiting Game.
- She was to star in the Broadway production of Sweet Charity. It was short lived however.
- She started her own dance company, Company Dance, and showcased dance competitions throughout the US. Paula hosted some of her competitions on ESPN.
- She released some dance workout videos, Get Up And Dance and Cardio Dance.
- She wrote a song for Kylie Minogue titled 'Spinning Around' and it became a number one hit.
- In 2002, Paula got the chance to be a judge in the all new reality series American Idol. Paula was one of three judges beside Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson. This reality show allowed people from the ages of 16-25 to live their dream of becoming a star. The winner got signed to a record label.
- She has come out with her own line of jewelry called Innergy.
- She made a childrens dance video with Sesame Street stars Elmo and Zoe.
- She became an Entertainment Tonight Correspondent.
"When people expect me to go right, I'll go left. I'm unpredictable." -On Her Choreography
"I welcome him like I welcome cold sores. He's from England, he's angry and he's got Mad Power Disease." -On fellow judge Simon Cowell
"I remember when I was 4 years old, sitting on the couch with my family watching Singing In The Rain. I remember pointing to the tv saying, I want to do that. I want to dance like that."
"I am always bashing my legs into things. I am the ultimate klutz."
"When I would get rejected like that, it just made me more determined to go out there and prove everyone wrong."
"I loved high school. I always made the most out of it."
"People were not sure what I was so I feel as if I related to many different races because of my background."
"When I joined the Laker Girls, I wanted to break that traditional mold of the pom poms and form a dance team."
"I could not believe all of the success that I am having. Every morning when I wake up, I want to pinch myself."
"If it all ended today, I would be happy. This was something that I did not expect. There is nothing that I would change. This is eveything that I hoped for, and dreamed of."
"I'm just same old Paula. I still like to go out with my friends and have a good time."
"I remember when I first heard 'Knocked Out' on the radio, I almost got into a car accident." She laughs. "Although, I thought if my music career did not work out, it is something I still would be very proud of."
"When Straight Up first hit number one I was so sick in bed with a 103 degree fever I remember the record executives calling me and saying, ' You just recieved the number one record in the country, Straight Up.' I was like, 'Oh my God I'm so happy.'"
"I was at a constant war with my body. I had to realize that this is who I am and learn to deal with it, and accept it. Being Paula Abdul was not so great anymore."
"I am not perfect. I always felt like I was a role model for young girls and women. I felt like I was going to disappoint people."
"I always wanted to be an all around entertainer. So, acting is something I have always wanted to do."
The Paula Abdul Page
The Paula Abdul Website
Paula Abdul - Joy of Dance
T's Paula Abdul Palace
The Godfather's Paula Abdul Picture Shrine
Paula Abdul Picture Gallery
The Paula Abdul Homepage!
Virgin Records - Paula Abdul
Celebrity Photos: 8x10 photos of Paula Abdul
Women Celebs: Paula Abdul
The Paula Abdul Page
Eric's Paula Abdul Page
Under Her Spell: A Paula Abdul Page
Paula Abdul, musician, singer and a celebrity
Paula Abdul lyrics
Paula info and several sound clips
Kev's Gallery: Paula Abdul page 1
Rock On The Net: Artists Info: Paula Abdul
The Paula Abdul Fansite
Maybe it's a trick, something doesn't click...
Peter Morse Light Design, Under My Spell World Tour
The Paula Abdul Website
Jason's Paula Abdul Page
Paula Abdul Merchandise
Brazilian Paula Abdul Page
Paula Abdul @ ROCKnPOP.com
Visit Paula Abdul at Celebrity Corner
JAMtv Artists: Paula Abdul
Celebrity Photos Online - Paula Abdul
Some Paula Abdul song lyrics
WWW Music Database.